Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"How to land not ONE but TWO fabulous internships!"

I have taken on the unthinkable ... Two internships in one summer!
I believe in taking full and complete advantage of the opportunity to work in LA so I have committed myself to TWO internships to develop my knowledge and skills in the fashion industry, build my resume, and to make myself more marketable for a permeant position in the future.


I began my second internship on Friday at Chic Little Devil Stylehouse
(yup the largest stylehouse in LA which was featured on The Real Houseswives of Beverly Hills)




I wore:
1. Dark gray skinny jeans (cuffed at the bottom) - Forever 21
2. A purply/pink, 3 button, high-low  hem, floral tank - Bjewel
3. Ivory white scarf - Forever21
4. Pink framed glasses
5  Brown flats
6. Hair - low messy bin with a "LC twist" for good luck ;)
***sorry no pic, I was crazy busy  and didnt have time to take one***
Instead of describing my day in full detail, I will give a brief synopsis and give some pointers on how to land an awesome internship with such a fab company. So FIRST, an overview of my day:
I arrived super early (after scarffing down the biggest platter of food from Mcdonalds [I know I Know, Mcdonalds is sooo fattening but I was in a rush lol] but they have this platter that I had never even heard of that comes with 3 pancakes, eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 2 pieces of sausage, a mcmuffin, and a hashbrown for $3.50. It must be a CA exclusive. It was monster sized so I split it with my mom. But any who... After eating I took the elevator up to the top floor and waited at the front desk until 2 other interns came
(Shelly-who is going to FIDM for design and Sam who goes to school in Sacramento).
Isabelle aka Izzy the in house stylist came up and let us in. I almost died when I saw the showroom, Stella McCartney, Gucci, Balenciaga, ALEXANDER McQUEEN!!! Prada, Givenchy, vintage Chanel (ahhhh!)
...I was in fashion heaven.





After I came back down from my fashion high, the day was pretty busy as I "Go-Backed", ( returning clothes shoes accessories into their proper place by designer, color, and style so the showroom remains organized) worked the reception desk--- where I paused for a quick photo opp lol



I packaged up clothes for stylists, and even wrapped the Operations manager's, Briana's hair (shes bi-racial and wanted to learn how to wrap her hair haha)



The day was pretty cool and the people are really laid back. And its not so bad that stylists for stars like Beyonce (yup her "people" stopped by today) and Resse Witherspoon (I talked to her "people" on the phone lol) frequent the showroom. Also, because of the laid back atmosphere, it's easy to network with the stylists, designers, or photographers who come through. I can tell that this is another internship that I'm going to love!


Now....tips on how to score a killer internship!
1. "De-Bland" your resume-  The people in the fashion industry are often the  "creative and artsy type" and want to hire people who add a spark to their business. So if your resume is bland and boring, they will more than likely put it in File 13. So spice it up by adding cool things that you've done in your work experience (Stay away from "I babysat my cousins-Summer 2007")  If your work experience is pretty conventional, add some creativity in the style and layout of your resume (add color/pictures, cool bullets/fonts, or even smell good paper a-la Elle Woods). Since your resume is  often
times the employers first reference of you, make it stand out above the rest!


2. Do your homework. Like Amanda said, it's important to be prepared. Often times employers want someone who is willing to learn about the industry but also someone who has knowledge of the business, the latest fashions/designers, or even about the employers themselves. Doing your research about the fashion industry (or any industry for that matter) could be what makes you stand out. Also it can be impressive to the employer if you  inform them that "Their love for boutique consignment shops and background work with 501C3 organizations inspired you to one day open a consignment shop whose proceeds benefit charity." This alone shows them that you didn't just stumble upon the position/employer...but that you really did your research! (even if it means stalking their Facebook pages, googleing them, or asking around lol) Know the business and be prepared.

3. Be confident!!! It's important to show your future employer that your great self assured personality (not to be mistaken as arrogant or pompous because trust me... There are waaayyyy too many fashion Divas/Divos in the industry already, you don't want to be another one). If you have a flawless resume and if you have done your homework, you will most definitely feel confident! Just be positive and believe in yourself and God. If you stay true to yourself and demonstrate that you love the fashion industry, your confidence will shine through and will be sure to impress your future employer!!!
I hopefully these tips help you land your dream internship!
Xoxo-Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment